Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Suck it summer, I'm still gardening!

Molly watering the garden with an empty can.
Our grass may be browning in large patches but my okra, jalapeno and watermelon are finally producing food! Yahoo! *happy dance* Truthfully, I'm not interested in the okra. To me, it's blech blech blech! But the summer affords limited options for gardening, so I decided to grow it anyway. What can I say, I'm addicted to gardening. Don't worry though, the food won't be wasted. Luke loves okra and intends to fry it up. (yuck!) I hope he enjoys it because harvesting the okra is no fun. These suckers are covered in tiny spikes which aren't pleasant to the touch. Ah, the things we do for love!

Thankfully, okra isn't the only thing growing. We have several watermelons and each day they're getting bigger and bigger. Fingers crossed we get some viable melons soon. Additionally, we have some adorably tiny jalapenos!! These are earmarked for guacamole which Luke is a master at whipping up. That man knows how to win my heart, through food!

The weather has ACTUALLY cooled slightly here... well, by cooling down I mean we're no longer hitting triple digit temperatures. Evenings are enjoyable meaning more time spent outside! Molly is a fan of this and I take her out every time I garden. And I love having her around! She follows me from plant to plant pretending to water the plants just like mommy! Sooooo adorable, right?! I think Molly may be getting her very own gardening toys at Christmas. I can't wait!

How is your garden doing?

PS - I'm not big on planting flowers except as natural pesticide (ie marigolds). But I love when the neighbor's roses poke through the fence. Here's hoping we get a blossom this summer!
Okra photo shoot.
Okra bloom.
Yeah for watermelon!
Itty bitty melon!
The BIG one!
Tiny jalapeno!
The neighbor's roses poking through the fence.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! I love the cool Okra, hahah. I don't like to eat it either, except in seafood gumbo where it just takes on the flavor of the rest of the gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As long as okra is concealed, I'll eat! Just like you!

      Delete
  2. Love this! How could I not read a post called, "Suck It, Summer!" Roflol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your garden makes you so happy that you blog about it! My plants / flowers and when I started a garden in my tiny little raised bed totally filled me with joy I even blogged about it too! That okra bloom is extremely pretty, never seen one!

    http://thenewwittys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynet! There is a sense of accomplishment while gardening and I'm surprised daily by how I can grow my own food!

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with you on the okra. I've never found a way of cooking it that de-slimes it.

    I have a pretty good crop of apples on my family apple tree (three varieties on a single tree) and maybe a dozen plums on my old and dying plum tree.

    Angela xx
    Little Apple Tree

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you on the okra. I've never found a way of cooking it that de-slimes it.

    I have a pretty good crop of apples on my family apple tree (three varieties on a single tree) and maybe a dozen plums on my old and dying plum tree.

    Angela xx
    Little Apple Tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo apples and plums! I'm jealous! Our citrus tree never took off, but I'm hoping for a lemon or lime tree soon-ish!

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks awesome! I can't wait until we move out of an apartment so I can garden :)

    I've nominated you for the Liebster award!
    http://www.youngtexanmama.com/2013/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pics, love that okra bloom! You're inspiring me to try gardening...I totally don't have a green thumb BUT I would love to grow my own produce (haha, I'm dreamin big!) Love that last photo of the rose bush growing thru your fence :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! My first attempt was not so great... I got my confidence up with a potted herb garden. And clearly my gardening ego has TAKEN OVER my yard! Hahah.

      Delete
  8. Hi, I started following you from the Bloggers Digest. :)
    First of all, I love the pic of your daughter helping in the garden. That is precious!
    I planted a few flowers and one green pepper plant a friend gave me. But I am discovering that I do not enjoy gardening; as you can tell from all my withered flowers and the saddest little green pepper you have ever seen.
    Oh well, maybe next year. Enjoy all your produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! My first gardening attempt... well I crashed and burned! Something clicked recently and now I'm addicted!

      Delete
  9. Coolness! I actually love okra. I didn't before though and then I got pregnant! LOL!!! I love gardening too but had to skip this past summer due to a HUGE workload. Love your pictures of the watermelon too. Thanks for sharing your post with us @ My Favorite Posts SHOW OFF Weekend Blog Party!

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pregnancy does crazy things! Thanks for stopping by and put on a great hop!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...