Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Pregnancy Must-Haves

I guess now that I've almost reached the end of my second pregnancy, I can speak honestly about what made me comfortable for 10 months (twice over!) while growing a person. Here are my picks for Pregnancy Must-Haves:
Pregnancy Pillow - Heating Pad - Massage Cream - Sandals - Shirt - App - Book - Vitamins

  1. Body Pillows - Whether you invest in generic body pillows (like me) or a snoogle or any other iteration, all are an amazing investment in your comfort. Plus not everyone is adept at sleeping on their side, so being propped up nightly is a huge help. I know I am going to relish that first night of sleep on my back! 
  2. Heating Pad - During my first pregnancy, I invested in monthly massages to ease my aches and pains. While it did wonders, the massages never got deep enough (especially in the pelvic area) to erase the ouchies. This time I took a more simplistic approach, coming home to my husband's recliner and a heating pad. Truthfully, it worked better at melting away any discomfort compared to those costly massages because the heat seeped deeper into my body than any kneading could.
  3. Lotion - Let's face the truth... preventing stretch marks comes down to genetics and pregnancy length. All the cocoa butter, lotion and creams in the world won't stop those pesky devils. BUT given the intense stretching our skin endures, that doesn't mean we shouldn't pamper it a bit. I love Palmer's Massage Cream for several reasons. The first is that it's thicker than lotion and is instantly more soothing (not to mention long-lasting). The second is that it comes in a convenient tube with flip top since I hate messing with lids to body butter (they constantly try to thwart me). And lastly, it's not greasy!
  4. Comfy Shoes - For all the lucky ladies whose feet don't swell in pregnancy, consider yourself lucky! I can start the day in normal shoes but by the end of the day, I'm walking barefoot around the office. Not really work appropriate. So take the time to buy some comfortable shoes and/or sandals depending on the season. I bought 2 pairs of these sandals in black and burnt orange (to easily coordinate with any outfit), and thus far I've lived in them day after day. The added plus for purchasing sandals is that you can buy your normal size and not worry about a pair of shoes that may never fit again... unless you find yourself pregnant down the road.
  5. Comfy Clothes - Maternity clothes have come a LONG way since the Muumuus our grandmothers' wore back in the days of yore. Embrace the trendy, clingy yet comfy clothes, because every bump deserves to be shown off in style and comfort! The options are endless now (maxi dresses, skinny jeans, yoga pants, poplin blouses, high-waisted swimsuits, intimates and more), so why not partake?! Personally, I love maternity clothes because they are stretchy catering to a burgeoning belly as well as a changing postpartum body.
  6. Pregnancy Apps - I am sending out a big thank you to BabyCenter for their awesome pregnancy app! While I've documented my pregnancy journey week after week, I haven't been as attentive during this pregnancy as with my first... Toddlers are good at distracting and oftentimes I'm not only forgetting how many weeks I am, but also that I'm even pregnant! That's where the BabyCenter App comes in handy with weekly reminders, baby growth information, checklists, videos and helpful tips. Once I found this pregnancy app, I instantly felt more connected to this pregnancy.
  7. Pregnancy Books - Women may have been giving birth for... well a long time, but the media likes to scare the bejesus out of us. Oh and let's not forget all the horror stories strangers like to tell you that again aren't what you want to hear. Ugh, it's enough to make anybody want that baby to stay inside their belly FOREVER. That's where a good pregnancy book comes in handy. For my first pregnancy, What to Expect When You're Expecting was my go-to. But for my second pregnancy, I wanted something more uplifting rather than instructive. That's why I read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. There are too many good things to say about this book that I can't even get started.
  8. Prenatal Vitamins - What pregnancy checklist would this be if I forgot to mention prenatal vitamins?! I used these by Nature Made for both pregnancies... well, more accurately for 1.5 pregnancies. During the latter half of my first pregnancy, the smell of these kept me from actually being able to swallow them. So I switched to a hard, solid vitamin versus the liquid gels. Thankfully, I haven't had that same problem  this time and can continue to benefit from the added DHA (FYI most, if not all, solid prenatal vitamins do not contain DHA).
What's on your pregnancy must-have list?

6 comments:

  1. Ok seriously; I used to swear I was going insane because I would 'forget' I was pregnant!! I'm glad I'm not the only one! Lol
    I used that app all the time; it was great. They have one for after the baby is born and I use it a lot...mostly because I forget how old she is... :/
    My go to book was What to Expect When You're Expecting.
    Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! Those apps are so helpful for us forgetful ladies!

      Delete
  2. A - body pillows are definitely a must-have, totally agree. And B - BEST PREGNANCY BOOK EVER! I read that book like 5 times, lol. Loved it. I wish I would've thought of using the heating pad when I was preggo, that would've been so helpful, dang it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, best preggo book ever! So empowering! I wish I'd bought my own copy as I borrowed it from a friend. But if I ever do this again, it's the first purchase!

      Delete
  3. Body pillows!! Yes! I also had an app I think you get so busy with the first kid that you completely forget you're pregnant. I had the same problems lol. I also wrote a post a while back on things you need after pregnancy. http://mamistimeout.com/2013/01/07/mami-monday-things-you-need-after-baby-is-born/
    Also those belly bands that Target sell are amazing to stretch out your wardrobe for the first trimester and post partum. I still use them 17 months post partum lol.

    Jai @ Mami's Time Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree Jai! And I love how so many pregnancy items translate to postpartum items, it makes life so much easier!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...